Barbourville home destroyed by fire

December 22, 2014
The family believes a space heater was the cause of a fire that destroyed their home.

The family believes a space heater  set up in their soon-to-be utility room was the cause of a fire that destroyed their home.        Photo by Bobbie Poynter

It took Barbourville firefighters over an hour to bring the flames down enough to get inside this home Saturday afternoon. Photo by Bobbie Poynter

It took Barbourville firefighters over an hour to bring the flames down enough to get inside this home Saturday afternoon.
Photo by Bobbie Poynter

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

By Bobbie Poynter


When the Barbourville Fire Department arrived on the scene of a house fire on Hwy 459 about three miles outside of town Saturday, the whole right half of the building was already engulfed in flames. With two pumpers, a tank and a rescue truck, Fire Chief Doug Dozier said it took firefighters over an hour to bring the flames down enough for the firefighters to get into the building and focus on the hot spots.

The homeowners, Liz and Cecil Matlock, had just made their final 20-year mortgage payment in November. The couple has spent the last month trying to acquire new insurance on their home even as they continued renovations.

The content you are trying to view is available only to subscribers. Please log-in or go to Register to subscribe today!

Thank you.